Gun Advice for Preppers
We recommend for every able adult in the household to have these firearms as a minimum:
It is also recommended to have a Bug Out Bag (BOB) with items 1, 2, and 4 (with ammo and accessories) ready to go. Shotgun ammo is too heavy to pack and is ineffective at longer range. The shotgun is great for home defense, where it can be easily supported with ammo. Having compact binoculars, a lightweight spotting scope, or laser rangefinder/monocular is a great aid to quickly scanning terrain, reconnaissance, ranging, and spotting targets.
- A .22LR caliber rifle or handgun for economical small game hunting and defense (good out to about 100 yards, maximum)
- A centerfire handgun for personal defense at home and away from home, complete with holster and 5 magazines or speedloaders minimum (with pouches) (good out to 100 yards, prone position)
- A shotgun for home defense, with a shell bandolier or belt nearby (good out to 100 yards maximum, with slugs, or 35 yards with buckshot)
- A centerfire rifle for situations where long distance is required, complete with sling, at least 5 magazines (or some kind of charger), and low powered optics (good out to 300 to 1000 yards, depending on caliber)
Federal Firearms Purchases
These questions are asked on the Federal Firearms Transaction Record you fill out for each gun purchase or transfer:
- Last, First, Middle Name | Are you Male or
- Residence Address (No., Street, City, County, State, ZIP Code)
- Date of Birth
- Place of Birth (City and either State or
- Certification Questions:
- Are you the actual buyer of the firearm indicated below? If you answer no to this question the dealer cannot transfer the firearm to you.
Are you under indictment or information in
any court for a crime for which the judge could imprison
you for more than one year? An information is a a formal accusation
of a crime made by a prosecuting attorney.c. Have you been convicted
in any court of a crime for which the judge could have imprisoned
you for more than one year, even if the judge actually gave you
a shorter sentence?
d. Are you a fugitive from justice?
e. Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana, or any depressant, stimulant, or narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance?
f. Have you ever been adjudicated mentally
defective or have you been committed to a mental institution?
g. Have you been discharged from the Armed
Forces under dishonorable conditions?
h. Are you an alien illegally in the United States?
i. Have you ever renounced your United States citizenship?
j. Are you subject to a court order restraining you from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner or child of such partner?
k. Have you been convicted in any court of
a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence? This includes any
misdemeanor conviction involving the use or attempted use of
physical force committed by a current or former spouse, parent,
or guardian of the victim or by a person with a similarrelationship
with the victim.
l. Are you a citizen of the United States?
m. What is your State of residence? If you
are not a citizen of the United States, you have a State of
residence only if you have resided in the State for at least
90 days prior to the date of this sale.
I certify that the above answers are true and correct. I understand that a person who answers "Yes" to any fo the questions 8b through 8k is prohibited from purchasing or possessing a firearm. I also understand that the making of a false oral or written statement or the exhibiting of any false or misrepresented identification with respect to this transaction is a crime punishable as a felony. I further understand that my repetitive purchase of firearms for the purpose of resale for livelihood and profit without a Federal Firearms License is a violation of